The term “personal information” means information that specifically identifies an individual such as a name, address, telephone number, mobile number, e-mail address, or credit card number, and information about that individual or his or her activities that is directly linked to personally identifiable information. Personal information does not include aggregate information, which is data we collect about the use of the website or about a group or category of services or users, from which individual identities or other personal information has been removed. This Policy in no way restricts or limits our collection and use of aggregate information.
How we Collect Personal Information
We collect certain information you voluntarily provide to us, such as when you create an account or a profile, make a donation, make a purchase, send us an email or sign up to receive email or text message updates, fill out a form, connect through a social feed, sign up to be a volunteer or host an event, request information, or apply for an internship. Such information may include personal information, such as your name, mailing address, email address, phone number, and credit card information. Personal and demographic information may also be collected if you provide such information when creating a profile or group, leaving comments, posting blog comments or other content, sending an email or message to other users, or participating in any interactive forums or features on our website. In addition, from time to time we may collect demographic, contact or other personal information you provide when participating in surveys, contests, games, promotions, and other activities on our website.
When you use our website, some information may be collected, such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, your operating system, the browser type, the address of a referring website, and your activity on our website. We treat this information as personal information if we combine it with or link it to any of the identifying information mentioned above. Otherwise, it is used in the aggregate only.
How we Use Personal Information We Collect
We use personal information collected through our website for the purposes described in this Policy or elsewhere on the website. For example, we may use personal information we collect:
- to provide the services, products, or information you request, and to process and complete such requests and any related transactions;
- to send you confirmations, updates, alerts, and support and administrative messages and otherwise facilitate your use of, and our administration and operation of, the website;
- to notify you about important changes to the website;
- to send you newsletters and otherwise provide you with information or services you request or that we think will be of interest to you, such as sending you information to keep you informed about various campaigns, candidates, issues, events, resources, promotions, contests, products and services;
- to help connect you with other supporters, and to solicit volunteers, donations and support for NIP and for candidates, issues and organisations that we support;
- to remind you to vote;
- to assist you in finding your registration information, ward and polling unit;
- to contact you if other information is necessary under election laws;
- to request feedback and to otherwise contact you about your use of our website;
- to respond to your emails, submissions, questions, comments, and requests and to provide customer service;
- to monitor and analyse site usage and trends, and to personalise and improve the site and our users’ experiences on the site, such as providing ads, content, or features that match your profiles or interests, and to increase the site’s functionality and user friendliness;
- to serve ads, on this or other websites or media, based on the information you provide and the actions you take;
- to notify and contact contest and sweepstakes entrants; and
for any other purpose for which the information was collected.
We will store and process personal information in Nigeria and other countries.
Personal Information We Share With Third Parties
It is our policy not to share the personal information we collect from you through our website with third parties, except as described in this Policy or as otherwise disclosed on the website. For example, we may share personal information as follows:
- with vendors, consultants, and other service providers or volunteers who are engaged by or working with us and who need access to such information to carry out their work for us;
- with candidates, organisations, groups or causes that we believe have similar political viewpoints, principles or objectives;candidates, organisations, groups or causes that we believe have similar political viewpoints, principles or objectives;
- to report required information to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), including name, mailing address, occupation, and name of employers of individuals who make large contributions;
- when you give us your consent to do so, including if we notify you on the website, that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information;
- when we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorised or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal processes or respond to lawful requests, claims or legal authorities, including responding to lawful subpoenas, warrants, or court orders;
- when we believe in good faith that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to respond to claims or to protect the rights, property, or safety of NIP, our users, our employees, our volunteers, copyright owners, third parties or the public, including without limitation to protect such parties from fraudulent, abusive, inappropriate, or unlawful activity or use of our website;
- to enforce or apply this Policy, our Terms of Service, or our other policies or agreements; and
- in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, reorganisation, acquisition, asset sale, financing or lending transaction or in any other situation where personal information may be disclosed or transferred as one of the assets of NIP.
We are not responsible for the actions of any service providers or other third parties, nor are we responsible for any additional information you provide directly to any third parties, and we encourage you to become familiar with their privacy practices before disclosing information directly to any such parties. Nothing herein restricts the sharing of aggregated or anonymised information, which may be shared with third parties without your consent.
When you sign an online petition, you understand that such petition is public information and that we may make the petition, and your name, city, state, and any comments provided in connection therewith publicly available. In addition, we may provide such petitions or compilations thereof, including your comments, name, city, and state to national, state or local leaders, or to the press.
You understand that when you use our website, information you post in your profile, blogs, forums and other interactive areas of the site, as well as any information you share with individuals through the site or share through social network sites, will be available to other users and, in some cases, may be publicly available. In addition, when you sign up and create an account, certain information regarding actions you take through the website, such as joining a group or actions tracked under your profile, may be available to other users and, in some cases, may be publicly available. We recommend you be cautious about giving out personal information to others or sharing personal information in public or private online forums. We are not responsible for the actions of any third parties with whom you share personal information. In some cases, there may be privacy setting available regarding the information available to others, and we suggest you take time to familiarise yourself with these options and use these settings.
Link to Other Websites
How We Protect Your Information Online
We take reasonable measures to protect your personal information to prevent loss, misuse, and unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware, however, that despite our efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable and there is no method of data transmission that can be guaranteed against any interception or other type of misuse. To protect the confidentiality of personal information, you must keep your password confidential and not disclose it to any other person. You are responsible for all uses of our website by any person using your password. Please advise us immediately if you believe your password has been misused.
Your Options Regarding the Use of Your Personal Information
You may “opt out” of receiving text messages, email updates and newsletters by following the instructions in those messages and emails. Please note that we may still send you other types of emails, such as emails about your use of our website, your accumulated points or rewards, or use information as otherwise described in this Policy, even if you opt out of receiving email updates and newsletters. Changes to information in your account does not affect information provided to others as set forth in this policy, including in connection with petitions or donations or that has been previously shared with like-minded candidates, organisations, groups or causes.
If you have any questions about this Policy, please contact us a email@example.com